Following yesterday’s campaign launch, I want to set out some of the key themes I’ll be focussing on. While much of what I want to achieve is based around making local improvements, I will also be seeking to engage with national issues. I have produced the following to give you some idea of my priorities.
- Grow UK Income – Fairer personal taxation system required. End to international firms’ tax-dodging
- Boosting Taunton’s Status – Implementing the Taunton Forward agenda
- Stopping NHS Privatisation – Removing the hugely wasteful market from the NHS. Securing a real-terms increase in funding.
- Resolve Taunton’s Traffic Issues – Big city traffic problems without big city facilities
- Housing – Reform of private rented sector and building more public housing to increase availability to people on medium & lower incomes
- Devolve Powers to Councils – Our system is too centralised, councils starved of cash for local services, leading to system failures. Redress unfair deal for rural areas. Additional council tax bands.
- Environmental Protection – Tackling climate change, wildlife protection, control of chemicals
- Secure UK Energy Supplies – Fix existing stock of heat-leaky homes, support early switch to low carbon energy, all new homes to be fitted with renewable energy sources.
- Education Reform – Restore local planning and governance of schools, reducing class sizes.
- Proper investment in local infrastructure – local railway stations, roads (A303 &A358) & flood defences, superfast broadband to be built into all new homes.
These themes are by no means all I will be talking about but provide a focus for my activities.